Wednesday, May 28, 2008

shredding the past


Next phase in our clean up -- going through about dozen plus plastic bins of financial and work docs that go way back to our college days. I am convinced you can write the story of your life based on your credit card bill statements. They tell you where you've lived, places you frequented, who you worked for, how much money you felt comfortable blowing in one month, and then some. This was interesting to me because I had forgotten when I had traveled, where, and with who. Before shredding, I noted some of these dates and times for my future autobiography, ha ha, no really only because I am so forgetful these days and it's nice to reminisce.

Some notes about this experience: it takes forever because you are revisiting your past; a good shredder that does not overheat is your best friend; the Notebook program I got for another project has been archiving my life story perfectly; canceled a credit card today, going to try and pay cash more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* my shredder!

Debbie K said...

I love looking at my credit card statements when I get back from trips! I never rememeber the name of that gem of a bistro, and then voila, there it is...